- Can I avoid the full week of Taxotere-induced agony this round? If so, how?
The answer was pretty much “Not really”. My oncologist entered the room shrugging and saying “I told you Taxotere would be bad”. She recommended I extend my steroids (dexamethasone) further beyond the 5x8mg doses and to take any combination of my many prescriptions that may help, as needed.
- What’s her opinion of my long-debated bilateral mastectomy?
My oncologist is not against the bilateral mastectomy and would support it if it puts my mind at ease. Apparently, though, there is no evidence that would prompt her to recommend it. She gave us the bad news that recurrence in the breast is not as likely as spread elsewhere in the body. Obviously, I can’t remove every organ in my body so I don’t think I’ll put myself through this major surgery “just in case”.
- When does radiation start? And is it still within walking distance of our place?
We will meet with our radio-oncologist in the near future to address these questions. It sounds like radiation is no longer available walking distance from our place, though. darn.
- Can I ask now about plans for my ovaries?
Yes, I was allowed to ask. The answer was, “We’ll see.”
- What’s with the sunken, bright read hollows under each of my eyes?
After hearing about the various possibilities of recurrence and spread of the cancer, I really didn’t care about the look of my face.
- Is my 105 year old skin here to stay?
Scary news or no, I still plan to survive and thrive.
Maybe not long enough to grow my own 105 year old skin, but for a long — healthy, happy — time.